Friday, May 2, 2014

Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet + Clinique City Block Sheer = Ultimate Summer Face Base combo?

Its a public holiday in the UK on Monday and the hubby and I have gone away for a long weekend to get some much-needed sun in the South of France. For me, one of the best things about going away on holidays has got to be duty-free shopping at the airport - it is a beauty junkie's heaven. To avoid being overwhelmed by the vast array of beauty things on offer, I have a rather long beauty lust-list that I keep on my phone which I constantly add to whenever I come across something that catches my eye. Unfortunately due to London's chaotic transport system, I arrived at Gatwick Airport with only a little bit of time for shopping so only managed to pick up a couple of things.

On top of my beauty lust list (see below) is the new Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet Foundation which I managed to pick up before racing for my gate. Last week I went down to the Chanel concept store in Covent Garden and picked up a sample of this foundation and was colour-matched to shade #30 (note: I am NC30 in MAC), and I have been trialling it all week and have absolutely fallen in love with it so I knew I had to treat myself to a full sized one. I still want to use it for another week or so before giving my full review but my first thoughts are:
  • Application: this foundation is so lightweight it feels like you have nothing on the skin and is a wonder to blend, this is best done with the fingertips.
  • Coverage: is light to medium, it does give decent coverage and evens out your skin tone and looks like your own skin, and it seems to be quite buildable, however it is not a full coverage foundation so if its absolutely flawless skin you are after, or you have quite dark blemishes to cover, this may not be right for you.
  • The Finish: the matte finish is wonderful without making your skin look flat or dead, and as an oily-skinned gal this managed to stay shine-free for most of the day, though I needed to blot once or twice later in the day, however there is no foundation I have ever tried that keeps me shine free all day.
  • Wear time: it lasts for a good few hours but I would say after about 6 hours its starts to show a bit of wear.
  • Packaging: true to Chanel style the bottle is very chic and perfect for taking on holidays as its in a plastic bottle rather than heavy glass.
Like I said I have only used this for about 4 days so it is still early days but right now I am loving this foundation and think it could be perfect as an everyday foundation for me, and it is especially great for the summertime and on holidays for that fresh, even-toned skin look!

The second item I picked up was skincare related rather than makeup. I have been looking for a lightweight, matte finish SPF for my face as a) it is coming into summertime and I am currently on holidays in the sun and b) I use a night cream with glycolic acid in it every other night so needed something to protect my skin from the sun's damaging rays. On a whim during my quick duty free dash, I asked the lady at the Clinique counter for their best face SPF for oily skin and she referred me to the Clinique City Block Sheer SPF25 Oil-Free Daily Face Protector. I tried it for the first time today and I must say I am impressed, it applied beautifully and sank into my skin immediately without any greasy residue, went on completely invisible and created a great matte base for my make up. After about 6 hours of wear there was still no sign of any grease on my face and using it with the Chanel foundation my skin is still shine free which is a miracle! I think I may I have found my perfect summer face base combo!



Do you change up your makeup routine in the summer? Let me know what goes on your face when the sun shines in the comments below, would love to read your recommendations for summer time beauty!

Lisa x

No comments:

Post a Comment